Thank you for being here, I hope you discover something new that brings joy.
This is my fifth time drafting a year end music list. If you’ve been with me since the beginning you’ll notice some changes:
- I’ve made 6 playlists instead of 1 giant list.
- I’ve (evidently) made a web page instead of sending a lengthy email.
- I’m simply listing my choices without explanation. If you’re interested in the WHY maybe that is something I can incorporate next year.
- All favourite album and song content is featured on a playlist. Playlist will indicated beside each entry.
- 2020 DANCE [pop;electronic;synth-pop]
- 2020 SWAY [hip groovers;r&b;soul;funk;lo-fi]
- 2020 ALT [indie;alternative;folk]
- 2020 LOUD [metal;emo;hardcore;shoegaze]
- 2020 HIP-HOP [rap;undergroudhip-hop;trap]
- 2020 CALM [neo-classical;ambient;atmospheric]
TOP 10 ALBUMS
These are not in order of priority because it is hard enough to choose 10 albums that left an impact this year. I am not necessarily choosing these albums because they are of the highest production or song-writing quality but because of the impact they left at the point or time that they hit me.
- Gia Margaret – Mia Gargaret [CALM]
- Lianne La Havas – Lianne La Havas [SWAY]
- Jordan Rakei – Origin [SWAY/DANCE]
- TOPS – I Feel Alive [ALT]
- Porches – Ricky Music [ALT]
- Phoebe Bridgers – Punisher [ALT]
- Bartees Strange – Live Forever [ALT]
- fish narc – WiLDFiRE [LOUD]
- Caribou – Suddenly [DANCE]
- Dua Lipa – Future Nostalgia [DANCE]
I should probably make a list that is top albums and not restrict myself to a top 10 and honourable mentions bucket BUT ALAS HERE I AM.
- Yumi Zouma – Truth or Consequences [SWAY/DANCE]
- Jessie Ware – What’s Your Pleasure? [DANCE]
- Tom Misch, Yussef Dayes – What Kinda Music [SWAY]
- Freddie Gibbs – Alfredo [HIP-HOP]
- Denzel Curry – UNLOCKED [HIP-HOP]
- Westside Gunn – Pray for Paris [HIP-HOP]
- Higher Power – 27 Miles Underwater [LOUD]
- Narrow Head – 12th House Rock [LOUD]
- Mil-Spec – World House [LOUD]
- Aidan Knight – Aidan Knight [ALT]
These releases are smaller in quantity of songs but heavy hitters in my top listens.
- Khruangbin, Leon Bridges – Texas Sun [SWAY]
- Laura Marling – The Lockdown Sessions [ALT]
- Mindforce – Swingin’ Swords, Choppin’ Lords [LOUD]
- Free the Birds – Free the Birds [ALT]
- Angel Du$t – Lil House [ALT]
- Turnstile, Mall Grab – Share a View [DANCE]
TOP 10 SONGS
- Freddie Gibbs, Hit-Boy, Big Sean – 4 Thangs [HIP-HOP]
- Leon Bridges, Lucky Daye – All About You [SWAY]
- Cardi B, Megan Thee Stallion – WAP [HIP-HOP]
- Lianne La Havas – Paper Thin [SWAY]
- Dua Lipa – Don’t Start Now [DANCE]
- Bartees Strange – Mustang [ALT]
- Porches -rangerover [ALT]
- TOPS – Pirouette [ALT]
- Free the Birds – Baby’s Gone [ALT]
- Mindforce – Fratello [LOUD]
THAT’S ALL FOLKS. A special shout out to two albums that were not released this year but were in heavy rotation. Louie Short’s Cherry, Cherry and The War on Drugs’ A Deeper Understanding. Notably The War on Drugs record which has consistently moved and supported me for 3 years. I’ll leave you with the perfect lyric to encapsulate this past pandemic year from the track “Pain” on A Deeper Understanding:
“I resist what I cannot change”
Until next year! With love Cait <3